Sunday 7 October 2012

Getting Old(er)

When I was younger I could pull an all nighter at the drop of a hat, continue functioning well into the next day and make it through to bed time, easily staying awake for 38 hrs.  Any time I might mention such things to my mother she would make comments to the effect of 'I just can't handle late nights anymore' and I'd think 'pffft, my God, I will never be THAT old...'

When we would travel as a family my parents would suffer for days with jet lag, I wouldn't, not in tune with daylight or my own circadian rhythm and desperate to explore (this was often helped by the pure excitement I had (and still get) from being somewhere new). These times I would sit patiently (or not) and think 'I will never stop my children from doing fun things because I'm old tired'

Fast forward a few years- Daylight Saving- you kill me, you rude, hour stealing, waking in the dark bitch, you.

I don't want to go to bed, it's not bed time, I don't want to get up, it's dark.

Tonight I will break all my 'not getting old' rules and probably make my dear son do something quiet because I am tired, I will then probably go to bed early, because 'I just can't stay up late like I used to'

Welcome to old(er) age, you will find your slippers and cardi on the rocking chair by the fire Should you need a tissue during your stay, you will find one stuffed up your sleeve, there is also some knitting to do when you've found your glasses, -which are on your head, but you don't remember that, because you are old(er).

No comments:

Post a Comment